Role of Altar Servers
Altar Servers assist the Acolytes and the Priest performing duties during Eucharists
In what ways are Altar Servers implementing their role?
- Carrying candles and cross in the entrance procession into the church and the procession leaving the church.
- Assisting with the Roman Missal at the chair for the presider for the Collect, Profession of Faith, General Intercessions, Prayer after Communion.
- Assisting with the purification of the priest at the Altar. Assisting with both setting up and clearing up.
What qualities are required of Extraordinary Ministers?
- Altar Servers play a very visible part in parish liturgy. They offer their service to the Church and the parish community as part of their personal spiritual growth.
- Junior Altar Minister training and ongoing formation programs take place at parish level.
- Training of Senior Altar Ministers is currently conducted by the Centre for Liturgy. Where this is not possible, alternative arrangements have to be made with the Centre for Liturgy.
- In keeping with the special dignity of this ministry of service within the sanctuary, opportunities for continuing education, reflection and renewal need to be provided by the parish.