Role of Music Ministry
Music in the liturgy represents Jesus himself, who sang psalms with the apostles at the Last Supper (Mt 26:30; Mk 14:26). Music is an integral part of our participation in the work of God. For “when song and music are signs of the Holy Spirit’s presence and action, they encourage, in a certain way, communion with the Trinity” (John Paul II, Address to the Pontifical Institute of Sacred Music, 3; Chirograph on Sacred Music, 3).
The Second Vatican Council’s Constitution on Sacred Liturgy (CSL) made particular mention of the role of music in fulfilling the purpose of liturgy, which is the glory of God and the sanctification of the faithful:
- Prayer is given a more graceful expression.
- The mystery of the liturgy, with its hierarchical and community nature, is more openly shown.
- The unity of hearts is more profoundly achieved by the union of voices.
- Minds are more easily raised to heavenly things by the beauty of the liturgy.
- The whole celebration more clearly prefigures the heavenly liturgy.
Our music ministry are represented by:
- Saturday Vigil Mass choir group
- Sunday Mass choir group
- Couple’s for Christ
- Santa Clara Youth