Role of Ushers
The role of the Usher is one of offering a friendly welcoming presence to those coming to worship, providing assistance in securing seating, helping with emergencies, taking up the collection, dissemination of the parish bulletin, and participating in the clean-up of the church after the completion of Mass.
In what ways are Ushers implementing their role?
- On the day, it is a good practice to develop the habit of taking time to prepare for service with quiet prayer and a reflective reading of Scripture.
- Your ministry should be reflected in your appearance, by being clean and well groomed in your attire.
- Find different members of the assembly each week at each Mass to bring the gifts to the altar.
- The offerings of the assembly are collected using collections baskets.
- Assist with good order at Communion time.
What qualities are required of Readers and Lectors?
- A practicing Catholic of faith and prayer
- Enthusiasm for welcoming and greeting all people
- A person who is responsible and takes this ministry very seriously
- A person who has the gift of hospitality, service, evangelisation or mercy